Friday 12 February 2010

Training 4 the C2C

Although my true love is mountain biking I have been persuaded to get involved in a little 'on road' project by my sister, who along with a bunch of mates is planning to do the Coast 2 Coast in May this year. My role consists of providing moral support and training opportunities for the event or as she would interpret, taking the piss and ensuring she is on her bike when the worst weather of the week hits town. This Tuesday morning was a fine example as we pedalled through rain, sleet, hail and then bizarrely rainbows and brilliant blue skies before yet more rain, sleet and hail. One minute the sheer pain of hail being driven into frozen faces made it difficult to see; the next it was the brilliance of the sun bouncing off the Cleveland hills, still bedecked in a white frosting, that was the problem. The weather may not be quite what we're hoping for in May but it sure beats gym time or a spin class any day of the week!

Somehow my supporting role seems to have been extended to require me to actually partake in the ride itself ... I'm hoping this will simply require me to to exchange my nice wide knobbly tyres for some slicks? The question is when - will leaving them on now make me fitter for the event itself or will it simply mean I can't cope with slicks and find myself sliding over tarmac far too frequently. Ahh well I'm sure the latter will only be considered pay back for the treacherous conditions we have had to cycle in recently when I have been perfectly protected by my sticky wheels.

I am only along for the ride on this one but I'm hoping there will be plenty of great material to report both before, during and after the event so keep on signing in. I think the route we will be taking is from Workington to Sunderland with two overnight stops but I'm hoping those that know will keep me informed. My husband is not totally thrilled with the timing of the event as we hope to do the Lakeland loop just over a week later but a girls got to support her sis and I'm sure it will provide the perfect preparation ....

2 comments:

  1. I did the C2C a few years ago and had a fantastic few days. My most lasting memory was the gale force headwinds the whole way! It made for some 'lively' cycling on the exposed sections. Personally, I'd leave the knobbly tyres on: there are some excellent off road options along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping that the headwind was going to work in my favour cycling west to east but no doubt the law of sod will operate. At least we'll all suffer together and it'll be good for the bonding process if nothing else! As for the tyres I've tried to hedge my bets by investing in some cyclocross ones. I think everyone else on the trip is a road cyclist so I doubt my enthusiasm for the off road options will carry any weight.

    ReplyDelete